News and Announcements
It was a hard-fought tactical and physical battle, but TNT prevailed with a 1 – 0 win over Phoenix Black in the 2018 Indoor Division I Gold Medal Match. Despite a shortened roster from Fall to Winter (going from 11 team members to 8), the crew maintained a spotless record going 14 – 0 during the regular season. During semi-finals, action started out slow, but TNT picked up steam during the match enroute to a 7-2 win over Cougars-I. The “old gals” still had something in the tank!
BACK: Venus Kwan, Verla Wong, Dee-Ann Evans, Marla Richardson, Jenny Gobin
FRONT: Peggy Seto, Jose Esposito-Fesen, Burgundy Biletski
FALL TEAM MEMBERS: Laura Fairbairn, Rixt van de Wal, Brooke Van Oosten
Astros Selects steadily improved over the weekend and came in 3rd after the round robin on Saturday night. On Sunday morning, the team started strong with a win over Cougars-Black in the semi-final match to earn a berth against Dinos Alumni in the finals. In the Gold Medal match, Dinos Alumni scored in the first half (courtesy of Jenny Gobin, who also plays in our club’s TNT team) and in spite a valiant effort, our Astros Selects weren’t able to get the equalizer .
Nevertheless, this was an awesome result for the crew and it was a fun event for a combined Astros team comprised of players from TNT, Sonics, Astros, and Stars.
TEAM MEMBERS: Nikki Campbell (GK-Sonics), Steph Tench (Stars/Sonics), Ashley Codd (Stars), Jess Davis (Stars/Sonics), Laura Waller (Sonics), Peggy Seto (TNT), Nicole White (Astros), Maddie Romeril (Astros), Erin Roberts (Titans/Sonics), Melinda Bretzer (Astros/TNT), Chrissy Kilroe (Astros)
We are excited to launch our 2nd annual Astros U12/U14/U17 Preseason Boot Camp in April to kick off the upcoming spring junior field hockey season.
- North Dome at the VIPER DOME, 2221 Crowchild Tr. NW
- Google “Absolute Baseball Academy”
- East/NE side of the McMahon Stadium parking lot (on the Crowchild Tr. side, just across from Stadium Nissan).
- April 10th, 12th, 16th, and 18th from 7pm – 9pm
AGE/SKILL LEVEL GROUPS
- “NEW” (as the name implies … for those who are brand-new to field hockey),
- “LEARN” (for our youngest group who have at least one season under their belts),
- “PRACTICE” (for our intermediate age and skill group),
- “PER-FECT” (for our oldest age group and/or athletes who can perform basic skills consistently and with less instruction)
Also, the *2018 CJP Spring Program Registration link is now open on the Field Hockey Alberta website. Astros/Maroons will again practice on WEDNESDAYS and Astros will again practice on THURSDAYS.
- CJP U18 Teams – http://fieldhockey.ab.ca/get-involved/register/u18-co-ed-league-registration/
- CJP U12/U14 Teams – http://fieldhockey.ab.ca/get-involved/register/u14-cjp-registration/
Brooke Van Oosten Selected for Canadian National Junior Development Squad Tour for San Diego (Feb. 2018)
Congratulations to Brooke Van Oosten on being selected to participate in a tour to San Diego, CA as part of the Canadian National Junior Development Squad. The tour will be from February 7th – 17th at the Chula Vista Elite Training Centre.
Brooke was selected after being selected for and attending National Talent Identification Camps in Vancouver (2016) and Calgary (2017), along with other athletes from Calgary, which include Paige Koochin, Reath Trainor, and Kiya Gosselin. Some of them may eventually join Brooke on future development squad opportunities.
Brooke plays for the Astros-A and Astros-B teams for outdoor and plays for the Astros/TNT teams for indoor.
See NextGEN training tour on FHC website – http://www.fieldhockey.ca/2018/01/08/27824/
The Astros Field Hockey Club wants to wish Brooke all the best on this tour and opportunity with the National Junior Development Squad!
We are running our second year of the U13 Co-ed indoor program. We only have a few registrations so far. We need at least 20 registrations before DECEMBER 11 for the program to run.
U13 Indoor details:
- Sessions run from 5-7pm on Saturdays at Repsol Gym, starting January 13 and ending March 3.
- Sessions will include practice, technical development and small games.
To register click the link below: