News and Announcements
Following on the email sent on Saturday, I wanted to provide an update on the Astros Jr. Boot Camps currently scheduled for March 31st, April 7th, April 13th, and April 15th.
As with the majority of facilities, the Viper Dome (also known as Absolute Baseball Academy) is temporarily closed in response to COVID-19. We do not know when they will reopen, but anticipate that this could take some time.
After much thought, we have come to the difficult decision to cancel the Astros Jr. Boot Camp for this spring. Out of an abundance of caution and very careful consideration, we feel that this is the most prudent decision at this time.
Field hockey is normally a welcome distraction and bolsters our “happiness” level for many of us who are passionate about this amazing sport of ours and the incredible people that are involved, but a pause (however long that may be) will allow us to all come back stronger and fuel that passion when we reunite. We are super sad that we won’t be able see all of you in the next few weeks, but the health and well-being of our Astros athletes, parents, and volunteer coaches are of utmost importance to us.
As always, be well and take care.
Verla Wong | Astros Field Hockey Club |
Hello Astros Jr. Players, Parents, and Coaches
This is usually one of our busiest times of the year as we prepare for the upcoming outdoor season with the various field hockey programs. We understand that field hockey among other daily activities is pushed to the backburner as everyone does their best to deal with other higher priorities at this time. COVID-19 has brought a lot of unknowns and uncertainties into our lives.Some of you have made inquiries about what is/will happen with the upcoming spring field hockey season. Our best answer is that we do not yet know, but we will do our best to keep everyone informed. I wanted to forward a quick update to those who inquired and who may not have received the updates directly from Field Hockey Alberta (FHA) or hadn’t yet had a chance to look at the FHA website. Information, guidance and updates about the 2020 Spring Calgary Junior Field Hockey (CJFH, formerly CJP) will come from the FHA office and website (www.fieldhockey.ab.ca).
As the email below indicates, FHA is hoping to have a spring program run, if possible. If you have not yet registered, they would like to encourage participants to still register. They have temporarily stopped collecting fees for registration; if the CJFH programs run, FHA will then contact participants for payment. For those who have already registered and paid, FHA will issue refunds depending on program start dates or cancellations. Here is the link to information about the spring CJP league – http://www.fieldhockey.ab.ca/content/Calgary-Junior-Field-Hockey-Spring-2020
For those who registered in the upcoming Astros Jr. Boot Camps, we are continually assessing and reassessing, taking our cues from what the medical experts recommend and being cognizant of the concerns and well-being of our participants and our volunteer coaches. We will issue refunds if the camps are canceled or if participants are not comfortable and would like to withdraw. We will keep you updated.
We all know that this is an unprecedented time. We have witnessed how interconnected we are as human beings and how this challenge we are all facing has affected every person on every level. We all look forward again to when we can have the normalcy and distraction of field hockey and other sports or activities that bring joy to our lives. We are optimistic, and intend on coming back healthy, powerful, and with gratitude for our field hockey community and our Astros Club family.
There is solace in knowing that we are not alone, and we believe that this is the time to rise and support one another (which includes sharing any stockpiles of toilet paper). Please be safe and take care of yourselves and those you love.
Be well and take care.
Verla Wong | Astros Field Hockey Club |
Hello club leads,
Sorry to email you even more! I just wanted to clarify and give some additional information.
We will do our best to have a season if possible, so we are encouraging participants that are interested to register. We have stopped collecting fees since we want to avoid the administration fees we will incur if we have to refund. We are continually monitoring the situation and will be modifying the season accordingly. We want to have participant numbers and contact details ready so that we can mobilize as quickly as possible if it becomes safe to run programming.
We will have limited staff in office during this time, however, we will be working from home. If you need to reach me please email and I will respond as soon as I can.
Email/social media statement:
On March 13, 2020 Field Hockey Alberta cancelled all field hockey practices, games, travel and try it free events until further notice.
We are still encouraging registration for our spring events, but have suspended payment until we are able to determine program viability and duration. We will continue to monitor health recommendations and assess program start dates. Having registration information ensures that we can keep in contact with participants and communicate necessary program changes.
For participants who processed payment, we will be issuing refunds depending on program start dates or cancellations.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
Dates for the CLFHA Casino has been finalized:
- Thursday, February 6, 2020
- Friday, February 7, 2020
- Elbow River Casino
The document 2020-Feb_Casino_Shift_Schedule.docx was attached to this post.
2019 Fall OUTDOOR CJP
For the Fall OUTDOOR (September 2nd – October 27th), our club plans to have teams in each of the U12, U14, and U18 age groups in the Calgary Junior Program (CJP). There will also be a FunStix program for ages 6 – 9, depending on interest.
2019 FALL OUTDOOR CJP – INFORMATION
- Registration (and payment) is through Field Hockey Alberta (FHA) – general information is available through this link – http://FieldHockeyAB.rampregistrations.com
- Registration opens August 6th
- Early Bird Registration discount available until September 1st
- Registration closes September 18th
- U12/U14 – if you have a T-shirt uniform from spring, you do not need to buy a new one (FHA will be charging $20 separately for new players who need to purchase uniforms)
- U18 uniform is available for $25 purchase
2019 FALL OUTDOOR CJP PRACTICES
- Practices will be on Tuesday evenings at the UC Turf and start September 2nd
- U12s will be 6:30pm – 8:00pm
- U14s will be 7:00pm – 8:30pm
- U18s will be 7:30pm – 9:00pm
- First practice will be “bring a friend” day
2019 FALL OUTDOOR CJP GAMES
- Games will primarily be on Sundays at UC; all games are half field
- U12s will be 7v7
- U14s will be 6v6
- U18s will be 6v6
- Games start September 21st
- There may be an occasional Saturday game (to make up for weather-postponed games)
- There will be an optional fun mixed team game day on Sat., October 12th
- Photo day is September 29th
2019/20 ASTROS FALL/WINTER INDOOR
For Fall/Winter INDOOR (mid-September through end of March), our Astros club has 3 junior girls teams and 8 senior ladies teams. Girls must be at least 13 years of age (those who participated last year will be grandfathered in). Scroll down for information for U17 boys + U13 girls indoor program options.
ASTROS FALL/WINTER INDOOR PRACTICES
- Mondays (6:30pm – 8:30pm) at the U of C Red Gym and Wednesdays (8:30pm – 10:00pm) at the U of C Gold Gym
- Registration for the practices is separate and payment is made directly through the U of C
- Registration Link for U of C Indoor Field Hockey Practices – https://www.ucalgary.ca/ActiveLiving/registration/Program/1257?filters=Intramurals-and-Sport-Clubs&path=All_Field-Hockey
- Most players come primarily to the Monday sessions; some will come for an hour on Wednesdays if they have homework and stuff
- Practices start in mid-September so there is some overlap with Fall Outdoor, but the indoor game is 6v6 and there are a LOT more shots so goalies and field players get a lot more touches on ball, which is where you can see goalies/players improve really quickly
- Starting in early/mid-March, we start working on outdoor skills in the gym to get players ready for the high school season and the outdoor season in general
- Primarily on Sundays plus some Saturday afternoons at Repsol Sport Centre (gyms 2 & 3)
- For the junior teams, we have practices in October until the Fall CJP Outdoor season is done; first game is in November
- We play until end of March; there is a small Xmas/holiday break in mid-December
- Registration is through Astros Field Hockey Club – https://www.teampages.com/forms/11087-Astros-Club-Registration-Indoor-Outdoor-Leagues
- The league fee is separate from practice fees (practice fees are paid directly to U of C); the league fee covers the rental of the gyms at Repsol Sport Centre + umpires
- If you are not playingFall CJP Outdoor (which includes FHA/FHC insurance), then you will also need to get this separately – https://www.rampregistrations.com/login?v3=a71e044b
- This covers you from September 1st – August 31st, but you only pay it once (it’s $40 for juniors/Under-18) and covers you for any/all programs
INDOOR FIELD HOCKEY 101
- There are 6 players on an indoor pitch (gym floor) … this includes 5 field players and a goalkeeper or kicking back
- There are side boards that are used as part of the play
- The indoor game is faster and the skills required a bit more technical precision due to a smaller space and some of the indoor rules
- Push passes and strong, low, and tight stick skills for passing and receiving are very important
- Hits (including sweep hits) and lifting the ball over a stick (or even having it pop over your stick) is not permitted
- Indoor sticks are thinner and lighter; gloves are strongly recommended (to avoid having broken hands)
- Games consist of 2 × 25-minute halves
- Penalty corners are different; we’ll go through that at practices
ASTROS (JUNIOR) EVENTS IN PLANNING STAGES
INDOOR JR. JAMBOREE/DEVELOPMENT CAMP (October 12/13, 2019 and January 4/5, 2020) – COED
- Sharon Bhola is working on a jamboree/development camp for the weekends of October 12-13, 2019 and January 4-5, 2020
- This will be held at the U of C Red Gym (timing depends on gym availability) and potentially also U of C Gold Gym
INDOOR BOYS + ASTROS U13 GIRLS PROGRAM
- Laura Ferguson is working with Mandeep on a program in the winter @ Genesis Centre for boys (all ages) and U13 girls who aren’t playing in the CLFHA Jr. Indoor Division
INDOOR BOYS/COED THURSDAYS (TBD)
- Sharon Bhola and I are working with UC Active Living to see if we can get a new/separate boys/coed program for 2 Thursdays a month starting in the winter
INDOOR TOURNAMENT (January 2020 in Duncan, BC) – GIRLS
- Depending on interest, we may send a U18 team to the Malcolm Fernandez Indoor Tournament in Duncan, BC
INDOOR MEN’S LEAGUE
- Please contact Kenneth Serrien (email@example.com) or Nick Hignell (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information about Maroons men’s indoor teams
OUTDOOR U16/U18 TOUR – GIRLS
- There is a tentative outdoor tour to BC either in the fall (November) or early spring (April)
- This depends on whether there are conflicts with other field hockey events
OUTDOOR JR. BOOT CAMP – COED
- Our annual field hockey boot camp for new and returning players is generally in late March/early April to get players ready for outdoor
OUTDOOR SPRING CJP – COED
- Late April to End of June
- Practices are on Thursday evenings
- We are planning for a potential location for practices in the SW on Wednesday evenings
- Games are generally on Sundays
OUTDOOR LADIES LEAGUE
- May to August (games only, C-League is on Wednesday evenings)
- Girls must be at least 16 years of age to play in Ladies League
We are excited to launch our 3rd annual Astros U12/U14/U18 Preseason Boot Camp in April to kick off the upcoming spring junior field hockey season.
WHERE (April 9, 16, 17)
- North Dome at the VIPER DOME, 2221 Crowchild Tr. NW
- Google “Absolute Baseball Academy”
- East/NE side of the McMahon Stadium parking lot (on the Crowchild Tr. side, just across from Stadium Nissan).
WHERE (April 22, 23)
- ACCURATE FIELDHOUSE, 7575 – 57 St. SE
- April 9, 16, 17, 22, 23 from 7pm – 9pm
AGE/SKILL LEVEL GROUPS
- “NEW” (as the name implies … for those who are brand-new to field hockey),
- “LEARN” (for our youngest group who have at least one season under their belts),
- “PRACTICE” (for our intermediate age and skill group),
- “PER-FECT” (for our oldest age group and/or athletes who can perform basic skills consistently and with less instruction)
Also, the *2019 CJP Spring Program Registration link is now open on the Field Hockey Alberta website. Astros/Maroons will again practice on WEDNESDAYS and Astros will again practice on THURSDAYS.
- CJP U12/U14/U18 Teams – http://fieldhockey.ab.ca/content/calgary-junior-field-hockey